- 4.3", 480x272 pixel, slim Intelligent Display Module with Resistive Touch, embedded DIABLO16 processor and Hardware Interface for the Raspberry Pi.
- Suitable for fast and easy integration of a full colour dedicated HMI into any application or product being developed with the Raspberry Pi.
- Includes 4D Serial Pi Adaptor for easy hardware interface to a Raspberry Pi.
- Starter Kits available for first time users.
- See product description below for more details.
4.3" gen4 Series Intelligent Display Module with DIABLO16 Graphics Controller with Hardware Interface for Raspberry Pi
The gen4 4.3” Diablo16 Integrated Display Modules are part of the latest gen4 series of modules Designed and Manufactured by 4D Systems.
This hardware bundle includes the 4D Serial Pi Adaptor which allows fast and easy hardware interface to virtually any Raspberry Pi board with the standard Raspberry Pi headers and allows you to quickly and easily add a full colour dedicated HMI to your project.
The gen4 series was designed specifically for ease of integration and use, with careful consideration for space requirements and functionality.
These specific gen4 modules feature a 4.3” colour TFT LCD display, and come with options for Non-Touch, Resistive Touch and Capacitive Touch with Cover Lens Bezel (CLB). They are powered by the well-known 4D Systems Diablo16 Graphics Processor, which offers an array of functionality and options for any Designer / Integrator / User.
The 4.3” Diablo16 Integrated Display Module features a TFT LCD Display, is capable of Touch Detection, microSD memory Storage, GPIO and Communications, along with multiple millisecond resolution timers, and Audio Generation.
The gen4 Series is 100% compatible with the Workshop4 IDE and its 4 different development environments, providing the User with a wealth of options for programming and controlling their system.
The gen4 series of Integrated Display Modules features a 30 pin ZIF socket, designed for a 30 pin FPC cable, for easy and simple connection to an application or mother board, or for connecting to accessory boards for a range of functionality advancements.
The gen4 series of modules has been designed to minimise the impact of display related circuitry, and provide a platform suitable for integration into a product. Application boards can sit flush on the back of the gen4 if required, as the display related electronics sit inside the plastic mounting base, leaving the application board surface clear for User circuitry.
4D Serial Pi Adaptor
The 4D Serial Pi Adaptor is a simple adaptor board designed to provide a serial interface in a convienent form-factor, enabling the Raspberry Pi to connect to a majority of the 4D System display modules with a single 5 pin connection.
The 4D Serial Pi Adaptor features a pass through header design, enabling existing Raspberry Pi products to connect to the Raspberry Pi, as if this adaptor was not installed. The 4D Serial Pi Adaptor utilises only the serial port on the Raspberry Pi.
Information about the Adaptor
- Direct IO connection to the Raspberry Pi
- Simple 5 pin serial interface for 4D System display modules
- Raspberry Pi supplied 5V power for Display Module
- Comes with 5 wire ribbon cable if ordered without a display module. Display module itself includes a 5 wire ribbon cable (this is not the programming cable).
- Compatible with Raspberry Pi A, B and B+, Pi2, Pi3. (Does not use the full width of the header on B+/Pi2/P3)
Models in this size:
- gen4-uLCD-43D-Pi (Non Touch, without Cover Lens Bezel)
- gen4-uLCD-43D-CLB-Pi (Non Touch, with Cover Lens Bezel)
- gen4-uLCD-43DT-Pi (Resistive Touch, without Cover Lens Bezel)
- gen4-uLCD-43DCT (Capacitive Touch)
- gen4-uLCD-43DCT-CLB-Pi (Capacitive Touch, Cover Lens Bezel)
- gen4-uLCD-43D-SB-Pi (Non Touch, without Cover Lens Bezel, Super Bright)
- gen4-uLCD-43D-CLB-SB-Pi (Non Touch, with Cover Lens Bezel, Super Bright)
- gen4-uLCD-43DT-SB-Pi (Resistive Touch, without Cover Lens Bezel, Super Bright)
- gen4-uLCD-43DCT-SB (Capacitive Touch, Super Bright)
- gen4-uLCD-43DCT-CLB-SB-Pi (Capacitive Touch, Cover Lens Bezel, Super Bright)
Information about the display module
- Powerful 4.3” Intelligent LCD-TFT display module powered by DIABLO16.
- 480 x 272 Resolution, RGB 65K true to life colours, TFT Screen with integrated 4-wire Resistive Touch Panel (on DT model only).
- 6 banks of 32750 bytes of Flash memory for User Application Code and Data.
- 32Kb of SRAM purely for the User.
- 16 General Purpose I/O pins for user interfacing, which include 4 configurable Analog Inputs.
- The GPIO is variously configurable for alternative functions such as:
- 3x I2C channels available.
- 1x SPI dedicated for SD Card and 3x configurable SPI channels available.
- 1x dedicated and 3x configurable TTL Serial comm ports available.
- Up to 6 GPIO can be used as Pin Counters.
- Up to 6 GPIO for PWM (simple and Servo).
- Up to 10 GPIO for Pulse Output.
- Up to 14 GPIO can be configured for Quadrature Encoder Inputs (2 channels).
- 30pin FPC connection, for all signals, power, communications, GPIO and programming.
- On-board latch type micro-SD memory card connector for multimedia storage and data logging purposes.
- DOS compatible file access (FAT16 format) as well as low level access to card memory.
- Dedicated PWM Audio pin driven by WAV files from micro-SD card, and for sound generation, for an external amplifier.
- Display full colour images, animations, icons and video clips.
- Supports all available Windows fonts.
- 4.0V to 5.5V range operation (single supply).
- Module dimensions:
- (D): 127.60 x 69.30 x 6.70mm.
- (D-CLB): 123.00 x 84.50 x 7.40mm.
- (DCT): 127.60 x 69.30 x 8.10mm.
- (DCT-CLB): 123.00 x 84.50 x 8.40mm.
- (DT): 127.60 x 69.30 x 7.80mm.
- 4x mounting tabs with 3.2mm holes for mechanical mounting using M3 screws.
- RoHS and REACH compliant.
- CE Compliant – please ask for CE declarations from our Support Team.
The gen4-uLCD-43DT-Pi includes the following items:
gen4-uLCD-43DT Intelligent Display Module with Resistive Touch
- 4D Serial Pi Adaptor
gen4-IB Interface Board
30-way 150mm FFC Cable
- 5-way female-to-female ribbon cable with male-to-male adaptor
Quick Start Guide Available as a Download
If you are a first time user and just beginning your development, we strongly recommend purchasing a Starter Kit of this same model as it includes additional items that allow you to get started with your development immediately.
Starter Kit part number is SK-gen4-43DT-Pi.
Workshop4 is a comprehensive software IDE for Microsoft Windows that provides an integrated software development platform for all of the 4D family of processors and modules. The IDE combines the Editor, Compiler, Linker and Downloader to develop complete 4DGL application code.
All user application code is developed within the Workshop4 IDE.
Workshop4 includes four development environments for the user to choose based on application requirements or even user skill level.
This environment enables the user to write 4DGL code in its natural form to program the display module.
ViSi - Genie
An advanced environment that does not require any 4DGL coding at all. Everything is done automatically for you. Simply lay the display out with the objects you want (similar to ViSi), set the events to drive them and the code is written for you automatically. ViSi-Genie provides the latest rapid development experience from 4D Systems.
A visual programming experience that enables drag-and-drop type placement of objects to assist with 4DGL code generation and allows the user to visualise how the display will look while being developed.
This environment is also provided to transform the display module into a slave serial display module. It allows the user to control the display from any host microcontroller or device with a serial port.
SMART WIDGETS EDITOR
Smart Widgets Editor is a powerful utility which enables the generation of Smart Widgets.
- Users can create complex widgets with up to six layers, including the layer for the base image. The order of the layers can be arranged as desired.
- Each layer can contain one or more images arranged in sequence that can be manipulated in a variety of ways. Image manipulation options include horizontal motion, vertical motion, and angular motion. Additionally, the transparency of a layer can be set.
- Two or more layers can be linked to produce synchronized movements of images. This enables the generation of complex widgets with multiple moving parts. Clockwork feature is also supported. This enables users to quickly generate clock widgets.
- Each layer can have a numeric part which can display numbers in various fonts and formats. Alternatively, the numeric part can be a fixed sequence of text.
- The output frames can be utilized using any of the supported Workshop4 environments
Genie Magic is an extension to ViSi-Genie, which is available in Workshop4 PRO. Genie Magic allows the User to add 4DGL code to various points in the ViSi-Genie backend code, which allows Users to take full advantage of the power of 4DGL, while retaining the speed and convenience of ViSi-Genie and its defined communication protocol.
Genie Magic allows you to enter 4DGL code in the form of Events, Code and Objects, along with various touch related additions too, giving you to the power to achieve advanced GUI's in ViSi-Genie without having to write the full code yourself.
Genie Magic is fully supported by the genieArduino and geniePi libraries, making communication with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi host even more powerful.
When using Genie Magic in combination with the Smart Widget Editor, it is possible to use the Smart Widgets Editor tool and Smart Widgets to create other graphical user interface elements such as:
- Dropdown Menu
- Side Menu
- 'Carousel Slider'
- List Box
- Quarter-Rotary Menu
- Dock Menu
- Fading Slide-To-Unlock Button
- Spectrum With Transparency
- And Many Others