The uVGA-III is a compact and cost effective VGA Graphics Engine packed with plenty of features, ready to become the GUI for your target application, and capable of being an interface controller for a number of applications
Embedded at the heart of the design is the PICASO processor, which is driven by a highly optimised virtual core engine called EVE (Extensible Virtual Engine). An extensive range of hardware and software peripherals have been integrated into the design, to give the user freedom to adapt the module to suit almost any application.
The module combines a display driver capable of 320×240 (QVGA), 640×480 (VGA) and 800×480 (WVGA) resolution output to a standard VGA display, micro-SD card connector, along with a group of general purpose input/output pins (GPIO’s), including I2C and serial UART communications.
This module serves as a perfect solution to connect to an external VGA monitor for an application requiring animation, slideshows, images or sound. This PICASO driven Intelligent Display Module is a perfect example of where art meets technology.
Audio support provided on the display module is supplied by the PICASO processor, outputting a line-level audio signal, ready to drive an external amplifier of choice. A simple instruction enables the user to play audio files while continuing the execution of the user application code, such as display updates, communications and much more.
The micro-SD card slot provides the user with expandable memory space suitable for multimedia file retrieval, including images, animations and movie clips, as well as data logging applications.
The module can be programmed as a master or slave device using the Workshop 4 IDE Software, but can also be configured as a serial slave for use with your favourite Host Controller. Freedom is at your fingertips with the intelligent uVGA-III VGA Graphics Engine module.
Information about the module
- Simple VGA interface to variety of monitors and LCD screens.
- Supports the following resolutions: 320 x 240 (QVGA), 640 x 480 (VGA), 800 x 480 (WVGA)
- Supports RGB 65K true to life colours.
- Easy 5 pin interface to any host device: VCC, TX, RX, GND, RESET
- Powered by the 4D-Labs PICASO processor (also available as separate OEM IC)
- 14KB of flash memory for user code storage and 14KB of SRAM for user variables, or 14KB shared user code and program variables.
- 2 x Asynchronous hardware serial UART ports (COM0, COM1), TTL interface, with 300 to 600K baud
- 1 x I2C interface (Master).
- 8 x 16 bit timers with 1 millisecond resolution.
- 13 x General Purpose I/O pins. Supports fast 8-bit parallel data transfer through Upper 8 bits.
- On-board micro-SD memory card adaptor for multimedia storage and data logging purposes. HC memory card support is also available for cards larger than 4GB.
- DOS compatible file access (FAT16 format) as well as low level access to card memory.
- Dedicated Line-Level PWM Audio pin driven by WAV files from micro-SD card.
- Built in extensive 4DGL graphics and system library functions.
- Display full colour images, animations, icons and video clips.
- Supports all available Windows fonts.
- A 30 pin header for I/O expansion (supplied but not soldered onto the PCB)
- 15 pin D-type standard VGA connector to interface to any external VGA monitor, on a remote and detachable cable.
- 4.0V to 5.5V range operation (single supply).
- Module dimensions: 39.0 x 63.0 x 21.5mm
- Weight ~ 17g.
- RoHS Compliant.
The uVGA-III includes the following items:
- uVGA-III Module
- 150mm 5 way Female-Female jumper cable
- 5 way Male-Male adaptor
- 30 way Male SMT pin header
- 15 pin standard VGA connector on 10 way ribbon cable
- Getting Started Manual Available as a Download.
If you are a first time user and just beginning your development, we strongly recommend purchasing a Starter Kit of this same model as it includes additional items that allow you to get started with your development immediately.
Starter Kit part number is SK-uVGA-III.