9.0″ Intelligent Display Module with ESP32 SoC
The ESP32 9.0” Integrated Display Module is part of the latest ESP32 series of modules Designed and Manufactured by 4D Systems.
These ESP32-90 modules use an RGB Interface between the ESP32-S3R8 Processor, and the 800×480 resolution TFT LCD Displays. The displays are TN TFT LCD.
Available in Non-Touch, Resistive Touch, Capacitive Touch, and Capacitive Touch with Cover Lens Bezel (CLB).
The ESP32-S3R8 Processor makes available multiple GPIO which include UART, SPI, I2C, PWM, and Analog functionality, while also serving interfaces for the LCD Touch screen, Real Time Clock, Quad SPI Flash, microSD Card, 8bit IO Expander and Native USB-C.
The user interface to the ESP32-90 series is a 30-pin FPC/ZIF socket, designed for a 30-way 0.5mm pitch FFC cable, for easy and simple connection to an application or motherboard, or for connecting to accessory boards for a range of functionality advancements.
This series of displays are compatible with the 4D Systems Workshop4 IDE, utilising the Espressif compiler and 4D Systems purpose-built libraries, allowing a feature-rich design and programming experience.
Any code designed and written to run on other 4D Systems display modules, such as modules featuring Goldelox, Picaso, Pixxi, or Diablo16 Graphics Processors, are unfortunately not compatible with the ESP32-90 range due to being a different processor family. However, please contact 4D Systems Support Team for assistance if you are planning on migrating from a different 4D Systems display model, as there are some similarities between them – such as the graphics, however, a majority of the coding will have to be adapted.
From a mechanical perspective, these ESP32-90 modules are physically the same mounting size as other 4D Systems uLCD 9″ modules, such as the Diablo uLCD-90D, uLCD-90DT, uLCD-90DCT and uLCD-90DCT-CLB, as well as the Pixxi-44 versions, uLCD-90P4, uLCD-90P4T, uLCD-90P4CT and uLCD-90P4CT-CLB. The only difference is the circuitry used. The overall thickness of these ESP32-90 modules is greater than the 4D Systems 9″ products, due to the USB-C connector and coin cell battery holder for the RTC. Typically wherever a uLCD-90 module had been mounted, an ESP32-90 module could fit in the same location.
Models in this size:
Information about the display module
- Powerful ESP32 Graphics Processor by Espressif.
- 800×480 resolution displays utilising RGB-565 colours.
- TN TFT LCD display.
- Available in Non-Touch, Resistive Touch, Capacitive Touch, and Capacitive Touch with Cover Lens Bezel (CLB).
- 16MB of External Quad SPI Flash.
- 8MB of Internal Octal SPI PSRAM.
- 2 native GPIO dedicated to I2C only (As they are used internally on the board) (GPIO17/18).
- Up to 17 GPIO of which
- Up to 8 GPIO via IO Expander capable of Digital Input/Output (EXT-GPIO0 – EXT-GPIO7).
- 2 of which are unavailable unless Touch Reset/Interrupt is hardware disabled (EXT-GPIO6/7).
- 4 native GPIO dedicated to SPI (Shared with microSD card) – CS pin (GPIO38) can be GPIO if SPI not used, and all 4 SPI pins can be GPIO if microSD card not utilised (GPIO38, GPIO11/12/13).
- 2 native GPIO dedicated to Native USB-C functionality (GPIO19/20) unless that is hardware disabled, it is then available as GPIO.
- 1 native GPIO available after boot (GPIO0), strapping pin.
- 2 native GPIO available if the UART is not required (GPIO43/44)
- Serial UART (GPIO43/44), and up to 3 more UART’s available by utilising available GPIO.
- On-board Real Time Clock with battery backup (CR1220).
- 30-pin FPC connection, for all signals, power, communications, GPIO, and UART programming.
- Latch-type micro-SD memory card connector for multimedia storage and data logging purposes.
- Display full-colour images, animations, icons, and video clips.
- 4.0V to 6.0V range operation (single supply).
- 4x metal mounting tabs built into the LCD, with 4.2mm holes for mechanical mounting using M4 screws (non-CLB models only).
- 3M Adhesive around the perimeter of the Cover Lens Bezel for mounting the CTP-CLB model.
- RoHS and REACH compliant.
- CE/EMC and UKCA compliance pending.
- PCB is UL 94V-0 Flammability Rated.
- Module dimensions:
- (9.0″ non-Touch): 230.7 x 126.4 x 12.2mm
- (9.0″ Resistive Touch): 230.7 x 126.4 x 13.7mm
- (9.0″ Capacitive Touch): 230.7 x 126.4 x 14.3mm
- (9.0″ Capacitive Touch w/ CLB): 235.0 x 148.7 x 14.3mm
- Weighing (approximately):
- (9.0″ non-Touch): ~ 204 g
- (9.0″ Resistive Touch): ~ 285 g
- (9.0″ Capacitive Touch): ~ 290 g
- (9.0″ Capacitive Touch w/ CLB): ~ 307 g
The ESP32-90T includes the following items:
- ESP32-90T Intelligent Display Module
- 30-way FFC cable (4D-FFC-150)
- gen4-Breakout module
- WiFi Antenna
Suppose you are a first-time user and just beginning your development. In that case, we strongly recommend purchasing a Starter Kit of this same model as it includes additional items that allow you to get started with your development immediately.
The Starter Kit part number is SK-ESP32-90T