2.8 ” gen4 Intelligent Display Module with ESP32 SoC
The gen4 – ESP32 2.8” Integrated Display Module is part of the latest gen4 – ESP32 series of modules Designed and Manufactured by 4D Systems.
The available 2.8″ display modules are 240×320 resolution IPS TFT LCD Displays offering an SPI Interface between the ESP32-S3R8 Processor. Available in Non-Touch, Capacitive Touch, and Capacitive Touch with Cover Lens Bezel (CLB).
The ESP32-S3R8 Processor makes available multiple GPIO which include UART, SPI, I2C, PWM, and Analog functionality, while also serving interfaces for the LCD Touch screen, Quad SPI Flash, microSD Card, and Native USB-C.
The user interface to the gen4-ESP32 series is a 30-pin FPC/ZIF socket, designed for a 30-way 0.5mm pitch FFC cable, for easy and simple connection to an application or motherboard, or for connecting to accessory boards for a range of functionality advancements.
This series of boards is compatible with the 4D Systems Workshop4 IDE, utilizing the Espressif compiler and 4D Systems purpose-built libraries, allowing a feature-rich design and programming experience.
Any code designed and written to run on other 4D Systems display modules, such as modules featuring Goldelox, Picaso, Pixxi, or Diablo16 Graphics Processors, are unfortunately not compatible with the gen4-ESP32 range due to being a totally different processor family. However, please contact 4D Systems Support Team for assistance if you are planning on migrating from a different 4D Systems display model, as there are some similarities between them – such as the graphics, however, a majority of the coding will have to be adapted.
From a mechanical perspective, these gen4-ESP32 modules are physically the same mounting size as other gen4 products by 4D Systems. The only difference is the circuitry used. The overall thickness of these gen4-ESP32 modules is greater than other gen4 products, due to the USB-C connector. Typically wherever a different gen4 module had been mounted, a gen4-ESP32 module could fit in the same location.
Models in this size:
Information about the display module
- Powerful ESP32 Graphics Processor by Espressif.
- 240×320 resolution displays utilising RGB-565 colours.
- 2.8″ TFT IPS LCD display.
- Available in non-touch, Capacitive Touch, and Capacitive Touch with Cover Lens Bezel (CLB).
- 16MB of External Quad SPI Flash.
- 8MB of Internal Octal SPI PSRAM.
- Up to 20 GPIO of which
- Capable of SPI (2 Channels), I2C (2 Channels), UART (3 Channels), Digital Input/Output, Analog Input (2 Channels) and other ESP32-S3-supported IO functions.
- 2 GPIO dedicated to Native USB-C functionality (GPIO19/20) unless that is hardware disabled, it is then available as GPIO.
- 1 GPIO available after boot (GPIO0), strapping pin.
- 2 GPIO available if the UART is not required (GPIO43/44)
- Serial UART (GPIO43/44), and up to 3 more UART’s available by utilising available GPIO.
- 30pin FPC connection, for all signals, power, communications, GPIO and UART programming.
- Push/Pull micro-SD memory card connector for multimedia storage and data logging purposes.
- Display full-colour images, animations, icons and video clips.
- 4.0V to 6.0V range operation (single supply).
- 4x mounting tabs with 3.2mm holes for mechanical mounting using M3 screws (non-CLB models only).
- 3M Adhesive around the perimeter of the Cover Lens Bezel for mounting the CTP-CLB model.
- RoHS and REACH compliant.
- CE/EMC and UKCA compliance pending.
- PCB is UL 94V-0 Flammability Rated.
- Module dimensions:
- (2.8″ Capacitive Touch): 87.3 x 52.1 x 12.6mm
- Weighing (approximately):
- (2.8″ Capacitive Touch): ~ 36g
The GEN4-ESP32-28CT includes the following items:
- gen4-ESP32-28CT Intelligent Display Module
- 30-way FFC cable (4D-FFC-150)
- gen4-Breakout module
- WiFi Antenna
Suppose you are a first-time user and just beginning your development. In that case, we strongly recommend purchasing a Starter Kit of this same model as it includes additional items that allow you to get started with your development immediately.
The Starter Kit part number is SK-GEN4-ESP32-28CT